This photo-worthy cold latte drink, which started as a TikTok trend, has the whole internet in a froth. As people were staying at home and performing social distancing, making dalgona coffee became a fun challenge to try at home. For this reason, it is known as ‘quarantine coffee’ or ‘quarantine-drink’ as well.
The velvety and creamy beverage originally came from countries like India, Pakistan, and Macau. There it was known as whipped coffee or ‘upside-down’ coffee. In South Korea, it was inspired by ‘Dalgona’ candy which has a similar texture to honeycomb. The dalgona candy has a resemblance with the creamy dollop on the top of this iced coffee, which is why it was named dalgona coffee.
This aesthetically pleasing drink now exists in the form of ice pops, chocolate dalgona, and matcha latte as well. The combination of milk and bittersweet coffee is eye-catching and heavenly. It is not going to hurt your pocket as you only need four ingredients-coffee, sugar, water, and milk to make this drink. Milk is being used in this drink which can be served either hot or cold. This recipe is enough to make one or two servings depending on how much caffeine you want in your coffee. Hope you enjoy it!
Dalgona Coffee RecipePrint Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Instant Coffee
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- Milk for serving
- For the flavors (Any One)- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder or ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Classic Dalgona Coffee
This is the classic dalgona coffee recipe, made with milk. Here’s how you make it-
Dalgona Mixture Preparation
- Take instant coffee and sugar in a bowl.
- Add water to the bowl and start to mix it.
- Mix for 8 to 10 minutes until you get a creamy and foamy consistency of the coffee.
- Mixing by hand takes longer, so you can also use an electric mixer to fasten the process. Using electric mixer will take only a few minutes.
- If you want to flavor the coffee then add one of the suggested flavors to the mixture once the coffee is completely whipped. Then mix it again for 10 seconds.
- Dalgona mixture is now ready and you can keep it aside.
Dalgona Coffee Preparation
- Dalgona coffee works with both warm and cold milk.
- Take a glass and fill 3/4th of the glass with milk. Add ice cubes to the glass and then add whisked coffee mixture on top of it.
- Alternatively, you can take 3/4th cup of milk and then heat it in a saucepan or microwave. Add the dalgona mixture on top of the hot milk to serve it as a frothy latte.
- Stir it if desired and the dalgona coffee is ready to be served.
Black Dalgona Coffee
This is for the extreme coffee lovers who do not want to spoil their coffee with milk.
- Instead of milk, take your favorite coffee in a glass and add the dalgona mixture on top of it.
- Serve and enjoy!
Lastly, make sure to take pictures of your coffee and post them on social media. Because if you don’t, did you really make it?
- Try to use warm water to whip the coffee so that all the ingredients can be mixed easily.
- It is preferable to use electric mixer to whip the dalgona coffee to make it light and fluffy, and to reduce extra efforts.
- Sugar is the major ingredient that makes the fluffy foam. Therefore, quantity of sugar should not be reduced. However, you can reduce the amount of coffee to make it less strong.