You don’t have to be Italian to try this delicious and crispy bread! This garlic bread which is even better than Dominos is warm with a perfectly toasted crust and soaked with butter which will just melt in your mouth. It does not need any fancy bread and can be easily prepared by ingredients available in your pantry.
The dish is derived from bruschetta which consists of grilled toast which is rubbed with garlic and then topped with olive oil and salt. It appeared in Italy around the 15th century and can be traced back to ancient Rome.
To prepare this recipe you could use a baguette or French loaf which is topped with butter or olive oil including herbs like oregano, parsley and the most important component- garlic. It can be then baked, broiled or grilled until it becomes toasted and crispy.
Dishes to Serve with Garlic Bread
This is a classic dish which can play a creative role in your meals-
- It makes an inseparable duo with spaghetti, lasagna or pasta.
- Certain food is well suited to its crispy texture like roasted vegetables, seafood, tomato and chicken.
- It goes well with almost any kind of soup or stew like the tomato soup or chicken, beef and vegetable soup or stew.
- It is a great accompaniment to a lot of salads like the classic Caprese salad or as garlic croutons on a Caesar salad.
Two ways- Soft and Toasted
You can prepare your garlic bread soft or toasted depending on how you like it. The method to prepare the two is slightly different-
Soft Garlic Bread
The bread is slathered with garlic butter between the slices. It is then wrapped in a foil and baked, making the bread warm and soft with butter infused in every slice.
Toasted Garlic Bread
The bread is divided into two parts horizontally and then garlic butter is spread all over the bread. The bread is then baked with the cut side up. This makes it toasted, crispy and buttery.
So, what are you waiting for?! Try this utterly, butterly, delicious recipe and take your tastebuds on a heavenly journey.
Also, do not forget to read the tips at the end of the recipe.
Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf French Bread or Italian Bread
- ½ cup Salted Butter, softened
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Making Garlic Butter
Mix the softened butter, minced garlic and parsley in a bowl. Keep it aside.
Soft garlic bread
- Preheat the oven at 180o
- Make 1-inch-thick slices of bread but do not cut the bread all the way through.
- Spread the garlic butter between each slice and also on the top of the bread.
- Wrap the bread in an aluminum foil. Place the bread in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes until the bread is warm and crispy.
- Unwrap the bread and serve.
Toasted garlic bread
- Preheat the oven at 180o
- Cut the loaf of bread horizontally into two parts.
- Spread the garlic butter over the two halves of bread using a basting brush.
- Place the cut side up of the bread in a baking pan and bake for 10 minutes until toasted.
- If using cheese, then sprinkle it over the bread. Keep it back in the oven for 2 minutes on high heat so that the cheese melts.
- Use a bread knife to cut the bread into equal slices and serve immediately.
- If using unsalted butter then add a pinch of salt.
- Wrap the leftover garlic bread in aluminum foil and store in a refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- You can use dried oregano instead of parsley.
- Use fresh garlic for making garlic butter. Substitute garlic with garlic powder if fresh garlic is not available.
Pair the garlic bread with lasagna, pasta or serve alongside tomato soup. Add your favourite cheese or no cheese at all and serve this garlic bread which is even better than Dominos. It will surely be a treat to your family and friends!