Honey Chilli Potato is an Indo-Chinese cuisine that is quite famous in Indian restaurants. There is a huge demand for honey chilli potato since there are so many vegetarian food lovers in India.
It is something that every Chinese food lover should try. This dish is so delightful and addictive that you’ll find yourself asking for more. The fried potatoes are tossed in a honey sesame chilli sauce making the dish amazingly delicious and irresistible. Honey chilli potato recipe is super easy to make and is a big hit with adults and kids as well.
Making Honey Chilli Potato is quite similar to the way we make chilli chicken or chilli paneer. This one just uses potatoes instead of chicken or paneer cubes. The dish can be served as a dry or a gravy version. The gravy version can be served with Fried Rice, Noodles or as it is.
How To Make Really Crispy Honey Chilli Potatoes
Everyone wants to achieve the crispy and crunchy texture of the honey chilli potato that makes it so compelling. To stop the potatoes from getting soggy, the secret is to fry the potatoes twice. The first coating is a dry mixture of spices and flour which is deep-fried till the potatoes are half done. The second coat is a batter which when deep-fried, turns the potatoes golden and crisp from outside and perfectly cooked from inside. One more thing to keep in mind is to boil the potatoes before frying as this method removes extra starch and also helps to make the potatoes crunchy. The last step is to cover the potatoes perfectly into the sesame honey chilli sauce and top it with sesame seeds, spring onions and cilantro. Voila!
You can pair this dish with Spring Rolls, Manchow Soup or Noodles and serve these as a starter or simply as a bar snack at your next party. Just hand over your guests a toothpick or let the sweet and spicy potatoes give them sticky fingers that they’ll be licking for sure. Also, serve them immediately while they are hot or else, they will turn soggy.
Don’t forget to read the tips at the end of the recipe. So, don’t wait much and try this recipe at home for your family and friends, and enjoy!
Honey Chilli Potato Recipe
- FOR POTATO WEDGES- 3 Potatoes (medium size)
- Oil for frying
- 4 cups of water for boiling + 3 Tbsp. water for batter
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 6 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour or Maida
- 6 Tbsp. Corn Flour
- 2 tsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Black Pepper (optional)
- FOR SAUCE- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 2-3 Green Chilli, slit
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion Greens, finely chopped (whites and greens seperated)
- 1 Onion, petals
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. crushed Black Pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Red Chilli Sauce or Schezwan Sauce
- 1/4th cup water + 3 Tbsp water (for slurry)
- 1 tsp. Corn Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp. Honey (optional)
- FOR GARNISH: Sesame Seeds, Spring Onion Greens & Cilantro
For Fried Potato Wedges
- Peel and wash the potatoes thoroughly.
Cut the potatoes into uniformly sized pieces, like French fries. Once done, soak them in water and set them aside. This helps to remove extra starch in potatoes.
In a large vessel add 4 cups of water along with 1 tsp. salt. Add the potato wedges and boil them for 5 minutes. This step helps to make the wedges extra crisp.
Once the potatoes are boiled, strain the potatoes and put them in a large bowl.
For First Coating
- Add 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 3 Tbsp. corn flour, 2 tsp. garlic paste, 1 tsp. red chilli powder and 1 tsp. salt to the bowl of potatoes.
- Mix everything so that potatoes are covered nicely from the mixture.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and deep fry the potatoes on medium flame until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Take the potatoes out on a plate and drain them using a tissue paper.
For Second Coating:
- Add 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 3 Tbsp corn flour, and ½ tsp crushed black pepper, in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add a few Tbsp. water to the bowl to make a medium thick batter.
- Dip the half-done potatoes into the batter. Fry the potatoes again on medium flame until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the potatoes on a tissue to soak the extra oil and keep them aside.
For Honey Chilli Potato Sauce:
- In a wok (Kadai), heat 2 Tbsp. oil.
- Add garlic cloves, green chilli and raw sesame seeds to the wok. Stir fry quickly for a minute.
- Next add onions, bell peppers, spring onion whites to the wok and sauté them on high flame until they are translucent.
- Now add ½ tsp. salt, 1 tsp. red chilli flakes, 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. vinegar,1 Tbsp. green chilli sauce and 1 Tbsp. red chilli sauce. Cook for 1 minute over high heat.
- Add ½ tsp. sugar, ½ tsp black pepper, 2 Tbsp tomato ketchup to the wok and mix it.
- Pour ½ cup water and bring it to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp. corn flour and 3 Tbsp. water to make a slurry. There should be no lumps in the slurry.
- Add the slurry to the sauce and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the fried potatoes and mix gently on medium flame till all the potato wedges are covered with sauce.
- Turn off the flame. Add spring onion greens, 2 Tbsp. honey and mix well.
- Use spring onion greens, cilantro and sesame seeds for garnishing.
- Finally, Serve the honey chilli potato and enjoy!
Serve this delicious Indo-Chinese dish as a starter or with fried rice at your next get-together or party. Bon Appetit!
- Fry in small batches to avoid sticking of potatoes to each other.
- Serve the honey chilli potatoes immediately after making them or they will turn soggy.
- Stir continuously when adding slurry to the sauce. This helps to prevent lumps.
- Adjust the amount of honey and other sauces according to your preference.
- You will need 2 to 3 cups of oil for frying the potatoes. You can use the same oil to fry
- the potatoes for the second time.
- For a healthy note, you can also pan fry or air fry the potatoes, if desired. Add a
- teaspoon of oil while air frying so that the potatoes turn crunchy.