Whenever we hear Mexican food, tacos are the first dish that comes in our mind!
A divine combination of the crispy and warm taco shell, filled with kidney beans, tangy tomato salsa, loaded with fresh veggies, cheese and perky sauces will surely satisfy your desire for a spicy meal with a tangy twist. Traditionally they are prepared using ground beef, fresh lettuce, salsa or pico de gallo, hot sauce and tortillas. The tortillas can be made from corn or flour which can be soft or crispy. Sauces and salsa are the heart of tacos. For instance, they can be green sauces like tomatillo or guacamole, red sauces like tomato salsa or dairy-based sauces like sour cream. How could anyone not love this “simple” dish?
Types of Tacos Famous in Mexico
There are a whole bunch of varieties of tacos available, some of which are-
Tacos al pastor-It is made with grilled pork and is marinated in dried chillies and pineapple which is then slowly cooked with charcoal or open flame.
Tacos de Guisados-It is one of the most famous taco stands in Mexico. They are filled with homemade stews and braises, tortitas, picadillo and the list goes on.
Carnitas taco-This taco is made with shredded pork which is then stewed in its fat with different herbs and spices.
Fish Tacos-These are super tasty, with fish, salsa and rich sauce filled in a taco shell. Usually, Coleslaw is served with these fish tacos.
The list goes on and on with varieties like Tacos de Fritanga, Tacos de Canasta, Barbacoa Taco or just making your taco the way you want it.
Although tacos on their own are filling and scrumptious, you can combine these with side dishes to fulfil your Taco Tuesdays needs.
- No taco night is complete without the classic chips, salsa and guacamole.
- For a refreshing crunch, Coleslaw acts as a side to your taco or just heaped up on top of it.
- Mexican Rice, Frijoles de Olla (beans in a pot), Lime Cilantro Rice for a classic restaurant-style meal.
- Spicy Tex-Mex salad and Zesty Quinoa Salad also make a great pair to your favourite taco.
- Turn your taco nights to a party by serving Margaritas. Tequila, fresh lime juice and orange liqueur is all you need to make margaritas.
- Also, Horchatas which is a fresh drink made with rice is a kid friendly drink for your next party.
Just set up a make-your-own taco station and celebrate your own Cinco de Mayo with your friends and family.
Also, do not forget to read the tips at the end of the recipe!
- 10-12 Taco Shells (6 to 8 inches)
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sliced Jalapenos
- 1 cup Sweet corn
- 100 gm cheddar cheese, Grated
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- FOR TOMATO SALSA- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp finely chopped Green chilli
- ½ cup Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
- ½ tsp. red chilli powder and dried oregano
- 2 tsp. finely chopped coriander
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon Juice
- FOR KIDNEY BEANS (RAJMA) TOPPING- 1 cup Rajma (soaked overnight and drained)
- 2 cup Water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Onions
- 3 to 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato pulp
- Sliced green chillies
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper powder
For rajma topping
- Combine soaked rajma, 2 cups water and 1 tsp. salt in a pressure cooker. Pressure cook the kidney beans for approximately 20 minutes on medium flame.
- Check that the kidney beans should not be raw or cook for a few more minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. Oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, green chilli and onions to the pan and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato pulp, ½ tsp. chilli powder, 1 tsp. cumin powder and ¼ tsp. black pepper powder and salt. Mix them on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add cooked kidney beans to the pan and ½ cup water. Let the mixture boil for a few minutes on a medium flame.
- Mash the mixture slightly using a vegetable masher and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Mix tomatoes, chopped green chilli, bell peppers, ½ tsp. dried oregano, ½ tsp. red chilli powder, salt, chopped coriander and lemon juice in a bowl. Give it a good mix.
- Mash it a bit using the back of the spoon so that everything is blended well. Keep it aside.
Assembling the tacos
- Take the taco shells in a baking tray and heat them in an oven for 3 to 4 minutes at 180o
- Add the shredded lettuce in the taco, then the kidney beans mixture, jalapenos and sweet corn. Add sour cream, grated cheese and some tomato salsa as well.
- Repeat the same steps for all the Mexican tacos and serve immediately.
- 1 cup of rajma after soaking for 8 hours and then cooking will give approximately 2.5 cups of cooked rajma.
- You can also add guacamole to the tacos.
- Add a little tomato ketchup to the rajma mixture for a tangy taste.
With a scrumptious filling of tomato salsa, sour cream, kidney beans and fresh veggies wrapped up in warm and crispy taco shells, topped with yummy grated cheese. Try this satiating Homemade and Vegetarian Mexican Tacos recipe which is better than take-out and will be ready in minutes.