Tawa paneer masala is a north Indian semi-dry dish which is made on a tawa and hence is called tawa paneer. The dish is simple yet delicious. It is prepared with cottage cheese cubes (paneer) which is cooked in a gravy of onions, tomatoes and a lot of spices. If you love authentic Indian flavours then you must give this dish a try.
The dish is creamy, spicy and full of flavours that just makes it perfect for any occasion. So, be it a wedding, a party or a dinner with family, tawa paneer masala is a dish which will not disappoint.
We Indians are obsessed with paneer and love it in any shape or form. It could be in the form of gravy dishes, appetizers, cake or even desserts. Most people love their paneer in creamy and spicy gravy recipes. Therefore, here are some of the most delicious paneer gravy recipes that are quite popular among Indian food lovers.
Variants of Paneer dishes
Paneer is one of the most famous dishes in north Indian cuisines along with dal makhani and cholle bhature. It is basically a category of cheese that is famous in Indian cuisine and is a great source of protein. It is prepared by curdling hot milk using lemon or vinegar and then sieved usin a muslin cloth. The strained paneer is then pressed using a heavy object to remove excess water and that is how we get paneer. This paneer is thus used in a variety of recipes such as-
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Kadai Paneer
- Shahi Paneer
- Palak Paneer
- Indo-Chinese Chilli Paneer
- Malai Kofta
- Matar Paneer & many more.
The best part of this dish is that it can be prepared in under 30 minutes and sorts your last-minute plans when unexpected guests arrive. For a complete Indian style meal, you can pair tawa paneer masala with butter naan, jeera rice, accompanied with a fresh and delicious salad or lassi. This is a semi gravy dish but you can also serve it as an appetizer or a side dish by making it dry.
To make this dish vegan you can substitute paneer with tofu and substitute cream with water.
You can try this butter naan recipe to pair it with the Tawa paneer masala. Also, do not forget to read the tips at the end of the recipe.
Tawa Paneer Masala Recipe
- FOR PANEER MARINATE- 250 grams Paneer (cottage cheese)
- 3 Tbsp. Hung Curd or thick Curd
- ½ tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Ghee or Butter
- FOR GRAVY-2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Fresh Cream
- 3 medium sized Onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 tomatoes, chopped and pureed
- 4 to 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- ½ tsp Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 Tbsp dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- ½ tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¾ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Salt or as needed
- 2 Tbsp. Coriander, chopped
- FOR GARNISH- 1 tsp fresh cream or freshly chopped coriander
FOR PANEER MARINATE
- To a bowl add curd, Kashmiri red chilli powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala and mix everything.
- Cut the paneer into cubes and mix it into the marinate until all the paneer pieces are covered properly with the marinade.
- Keep the marinate in the fridge for about 20 minutes to let it rest.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. Ghee or butter in a pan. Add the marinated paneer to the pan and toss it for a few minutes. Toss the paneer carefully so as not to break it. The paneer should be slightly brown when done, do not overdo the paneer or it will turn hard.
- Take out the paneer on a plate and set aside.
- Heat butter in the same pan you used for roasting paneer. Once it is heated add cumin seeds and roast for a few seconds or until it turns aromatic.
- Add chopped onions to the pan. Stir them until they start to become golden brown.
- Then add ginger paste, chopped garlic and green chilli and stir them again for a minute or until the smell of garlic and ginger disappears.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt to the onions. Stir well until the puree turns thick and the raw smell of tomatoes disappear. You will notice butter releasing from the sides, this is when the tomatoes are cooked completely.
- Once the tomatoes are done, add all the spices- Carom seeds, Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, garam masala and coriander powder to the gravy and mix well for about 30 seconds.
- Add 2 to 3 Tbsp. fresh cream to the gravy and continue to sauté.
- Add roasted paneer cubes and dry fenugreek leaves to the gravy. Mix the paneer so that it is properly covered in gravy. Do not break the paneer cubes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix everything. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on a low flame. Paneer is ready.
- Garnish the paneer with coriander leaves or fresh cream and serve hot with butter naan or rice.
- Butter brings out the creamy flavour of the dish but you can use any oil you want.
- You can adjust the quantity of butter and cream according to your preference.
- Adjust the number of tomatoes to suit your taste. Do not use tomatoes that are too sour.
- You can substitute fresh cream with water that is used to make gravy and substitute paneer with tofu for a vegan meal.
Serve the delicious tawa paneer masala with butter naan, kulcha, pav, chapatis or even rice. Be it a brunch, a party, or a dinner with family, you can never go wrong with this creamy mouth-watering delicacy.