Thattukada Chicken Fry is from Kerala. And we all know that Kerala is the state of spices. It has so many beautiful and fresh spices to offer that become an integral part of the dish and give it its unique character. Well, it is only natural that Keralites take pride in it and prepare some incredible street food dishes. Today, taking cues from the pros of street food cuisine, I present to you a mouth watering Thattukada Chicken Fry recipe that will surely tantalize your taste buds.
So, if you fancy a quick bite from the street food zone? Then Thattukada Chicken Fry recipe is the best to satisfy your taste buds. Thattukada Chicken Fry brims with fresh flavors of spices from Kerala that will satiate your hunger to the core. You can go to Kerela to have a taste of this dish. Or you can make it at home and enjoy the same taste. I guess the latter one seems more reasonable if you are not from the same place. This street style Thattukada chicken fry is bustling with hot flavors and tangy lemon piquancy. The word ‘Thattukada’ is a Malayalam word for their street food stalls.
Being a delicious dish, it doesn’t have to be very complicated. On the other hand, it is rather very easy. Trust me it is very simple to make and it will only take a few minutes, given, you have already marinated it. You just need some simple ingredients from your kitchen that you most probably will already have. We will make a marinade using some spices, lemon, and yogurt for the chicken. You can choose the time of marination. But remember, the longer you keep it marinated, the better the flavor it will have. So, let us get going and start making this Thattukada Chicken Fry recipe.
Thattukada Chicken Fry Recipe
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- Oil for frying
- 5-6 green chilies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 10-12 dry red chilies
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste
- 5 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons chicken masala
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon Turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon Black pepper powder
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds powder
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Take the chicken pieces and make a deep slit in them with the help of a knife. It will help absorb the flavors of the marinade well.
- Then make a thick paste of dry red chilies in an electric mixer with some water.
- Take a large bowl and pour the red chili paste into it. Then add 1 tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste, 5 tablespoons of yogurt, 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons of chicken masala, 1 tablespoon of garam masala, 1 tablespoon of salt, ¼ tablespoon of turmeric powder, ½ tablespoon of black pepper powder, ½ tablespoon of fennel seeds powder and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in it. Mix everything very well with the help of a whisk.
- Then add the chicken pieces into the marinade and rub it well into it. Massage it for about 2-5 minutes so that the chicken pieces soak in the flavors. Then cover the bowl with cling wrap or an air-tight lid.
- Keep the bowl in the fridge for at least 2 hours. However, for better results, you can also keep it in the fridge overnight. The longer it stays in the marinade, the more flavors it will absorb.
- Make sure to take out the chicken before 30 minutes of frying.
- Now take a deep Kadhai or pan to fry the chicken pieces. Add oil for frying and heat it on a high flame.
- When the oil is heated, turn off the flame and let it cool a little bit. If we add chicken pieces in very hot oil, it will splatter, and won’t cook nicely. It might burn too.
- When it cools down a little bit, start adding the chicken pieces to the hot oil. Fry them for some minutes and then take it out when it gets cooked. It will be crunchy on the outside and soft from the inside.
- Then in the remaining oil, fry the green chilies and curry leaves. Add these on top of the chicken fry. It is ready. Enjoy!
The Thattukada Chicken recipe is great for some family get-togethers. It is an ideal dish to munch on while talking and chatting with your close ones. So, next time, instead of ordering snacks from outside, make them at home. Let me know how you like this recipe!